Heineken USA Unveils New Products
Announces in-store elements of Bond “Skyfall” campaign
LAS VEGAS -- Heineken USA made a point to display its complete product line during the recent NACS Show in Las Vegas, including several new additions focused squarely on the convenience store market.
Company representatives in the booth said retailers are often surprised to find out just how many brews the importer has in its portfolio. So rather than limit exposure to the namesake beer from Holland, Netherlands-made Amstel Light and Mexico's Dos Equis, Heineken USA displayed a wide selection of its brands, including Buckler, Carta Blanco, Newcastle and Tecate.
On top of that, the White Plains, N.Y.-based company showed a selection of new products and line extensions.
- Strongbow. After years in Heineken N.V.'s global portfolio, Heineken USA announced in August it will begin distributing the hard cider nationally in the United States. The product, a crisp, premium imported cider with a clean, refreshing taste, maintains nearly 25% global market share in alcoholic cider, according to Heineken USA. The U.K. import was previously distributed in the United States through the Vermont Hard Cider Co., but the recent attention and growth of hard cider led Heineken USA to bring it into its larger system. Available in the first quarter of 2013 in 6-packs of 12-ounce bottles and 4-packs of 16.9-ounce cans.
- Indio. Heineken USA calls it Mexico's fastest-growing dark beer finally available in the U.S. Targeting the Hispanic market and beyond, the caramel-malt beer "achieves a mildly sweet taste with reduced bitterness and perfect balance," according to the company. Made available to major markets this past summer, Indio is available in 6- and 12-packs of 12-ounce bottles.
- Tecate Michelada. Michelada is a traditional Mexican beer cocktail. This Tecate line extension is the first canned michelada to be made available in the United States. The drink, according to the company, is a savory mix of Tecate beer, lime juice, salt, chili pepper and spices. Launched in September in 16-ounce cans.
- Heineken 3-pack. Capitalizing on the popularity of single-serve cans, Heineken USA has created a 3-pack of 16-ounce Heineken Lager cans. The plastic-wrapped 3-pack comes on the trend of similar 3-packs posting double-digit growth in c-stores during each of the past three years.
- Dos Equis single-serve. With cans representing more than 68% of single-serve sales in c-stores, Heineken USA has introduced a Dos Equis 24-ounce can.
Meanwhile, Heineken USA unveiled the next phase of its Heineken “Skyfall” campaign, tied into the newest James Bond film.
At retail, Bond-themed promotional packaging on 12-, 18- and 24-packs of Heineken beer will include unique codes that allow consumers to enter for a “1 in 007” chance to win a “Skyfall” movie ticket. The Heineken Draught Keg value-added pack and holiday-themed Heineken Bond display and POS items will encourage shoppers to make Heineken a part of their Holiday celebrations. The custom-designed value-added pack includes a 5-liter Draught Keg of Heineken Lager, two Heineken Star glasses, 10 Heineken coasters and one Heineken skimmer. In addition, channel-relevant IRC and MIR offers (where legal) will target driving out-of-section displays and larger basket rings for participating retailers.
The program is set to coincide with the debut of “Skyfall,” the latest installment in the Bond franchise, in theatres Nov. 9.