CSPedia Retailer News & Updates (April 2014)
A monthly digest from the convenience store industry's online encyclopedia
MESA, Ariz. -- The staff of CSPedia, CSP Business Media's online encyclopedia of convenience chains, gathers new insights and news and updates the listings for the more than 470 retailers in its database on a daily basis. CSPedia delivers a monthly summary of these reports, often news not yet announced publicly, to its subscribers.
Industry suppliers can get the complete and most recent updates by subscribing to CSPedia at www.cspedia.net.
Here is a collection of some of the news and HR updates from April 2014.
Foodservice Equipment at a Glance
CSPedia now displays easy-to-read, updated charts with the type and quantity of foodservice equipment in stores operated by major chains.
People on the Move
- BP ampm. James Hachtel, longtime snacks category manager, has departed BP and is now vice president of strategic insights at Eby-Brown Co.
- Chevron Corp. dba Chevron ExtraMile, Chevron Food Mart, Caltex Star Mart. Adrian Bendeck is general manager of store operations. Rhonda Williams is national accounts manager, lubricants.
- Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc. Founder Alain Bouchard has taken a new role as founder and executive chairman of the board of directors starting Sept. 24, 2014, the date of the next Couche-Tard shareholders' annual meeting. COO Brian Hannasch will be promoted to the position of president and CEO.
- Crawford Oil/Green Valley Grocery. Correction: David Grimes is chief financial officer. Last month's update reported an incorrect title.
- Delek U.S.Holdings Inc. (Mapco). Rick Altizer, who joined the company in late 2013, has departed to become CEO of a restaurant chain, Elevation Burger. Tony Miller leads the company.
- FKG Oil. Gary Arnold has retired after 16 years as chief financial officer of the Illinois chain. Inquiries should be directed to Tim Horan, controller.
- High's of Baltimore (Carroll Independent Fuel Co.) dba High's Dairy Stores. Some buying duties have shifted, but Benjamin Jatlow continues as vice president and general manager.
- The Pantry dba Kangaroo Express, Petro Express, Presto Convenience, Li'l Champ. Pantry shareholders have elected new board members and a new chairman, Thomas "Tad" Dickson.
- Pioneer Energy LP. Jamie Oliver is category manager for general merchandise and salty snacks.
- RaceTrac Petroleum Inc. dba RaceTrac, RaceWay. Jamie Rodgers has joined the foodservice team and manages hot foods.
- The Spinx Co. Cheryl Szczesniak, CIO, and Steven Visser, CFO, have been appointed to the company's executive leadership team.
- United Dairy Farmers Inc. Tim Kling is director of real estate and Ross Hobler is property leasing manager for the chain. Jason Flynn replaced Bill Miller as category manager for candy/sweet snacks when Miller retired.
In the News
- Casey's General Stores Inc. is building a second distribution center in Terre Haute, Ind., and is considering a third. The Iowa-based chain operates more than 1,700 stores in the Midwest.
- East End Marketing, with 32 Valero and Shamrock locations in New York, is a new profile in CSPedia.
- J&H Oil Co. dba. J&H Family Stores has selected PriceAdvantage SMART Fuel Pricing as its fuel price management solution. The chain operates 96 stores in Michigan.
- Based out of Canastota, N.Y., Nice N Easy Grocery Shoppes has selected Pine State Trading Co. as its primary wholesale supplier. Total store count dropped to 78 when a franchisee sold five stores and the chain dropped four corporate sites when leases on the locations were not renewed.
- Massachusetts-based Nouria Energy Corp. is adding Lipton dispensed tea to 26 locations and a line of private-label sandwiches provided by Garber Brothers commissary. It has dropped QSR brands Pizza Primo and Sub Express from its stores and transformed those 13 locations into its proprietary Sebago Cafe.
- Pennsylvania's Sheetz Inc. is planning its first grocery store concept at a student apartment and retail complex under construction at West Virginia University in Morgantown, W.Va. The company may expand the concept to the other college towns. The housing community and market are set to open in fall 2014.
- Speedway LLC (Marathon Petroleum Corp.) has partnered with IGS CNG Services to build a compressed-natural-gas fueling station in Findlay, Ohio, one of four to six CNG sites planned to open this year. The Ohio chain has 1,487 locations.
- Massachusetts-based Tedeshi Food Shops has been named one of FARE's "Leaders in Foodservice" and will be honored at FARE 2014. The chain is also the first convenience store chain to carry Rockin' & Roastin' coffee, an organic line by Aerosmith drummer Joey Kramer, in select locations.
- A slideshow of Vintners Distributors' Loop stores is posted on the chain's CSPedia profile page.
- Walters-Dimmick Petroleum Inc. is branding some of the chain's Shell stores as Johnny's Market, with plans to brand 15 to 17 stores. The stores will offer sandwiches, healthy snacks, fruits and vegetables. The Michigan chain operates 65 c-stores and three stand-alone QSRs, and has 29 dealer-operated locations.
- Wawa has rolled out Kalibrate's PriceNet fuel-pricing solution to all 382 fueling locations. The Pennsylvania chain is marking its 50th anniversary in 2014.
CSPedia--a product of CSP Business Media LLC--offers unparalleled intelligence and insight into more than 470 convenience retail chains in the United States and Canada. CSP developed it in response to requests from suppliers and retailers for more efficient sales calls. Because it's online, it is available 24/7, and information is updated every day. CSPedia represents chains with 20 or more locations or a total of more than 110,000 stores.
Company profiles include background and history on each chain, as well as information on their buying needs and marketing practices. Information is gathered directly from the operators in one-on-one interviews with buyers. It includes contact information for key managers and buyers, along with bios and photographs.