CSPedia Retailer News & Updates (January 2014)
A monthly digest from the convenience store industry's online encyclopedia
MESA, Ariz. -- The staff of CSPedia, CSP Business Media's online encyclopedia of convenience chains, gathers new insights and news and updates the listings for the more than 460 retailers in its database on a daily basis. CSPedia delivers a monthly summary of these reports, often news not yet announced publicly, to its subscribers.
Industry suppliers can get the complete and most recent updates by subscribing to CSPedia at www.cspedia.net.
Here is a collection of some of the news and HR updates from Jan. 2014.
People on the Move
- American General Investments (Cracker Barrel). Stephanie Langlois is IT and risk manager; Janice Chiasson is CFO; Sandy Bolinski is HR director at the Louisiana-based chain with 53 Cracker Barrel stores.
- Atlas Oil Co. (Earth Market). Jacki Mancl, former merchandising director, has left the company.
- Buchanan Energy Co. (Bucky's). Sam Woodard, director of franchise operations, is no longer with the Nebraska company.
- Carioca Co. (Shell). Pat Bishop, formerly HR manager, has left the Arizona company and the position has not been filled.
- Circle K Great Lakes. Brittainy Kuhn is category manager for hot dispensed beverages. Mina Elba handles cold dispensed and other foodservice areas. Seamus Sutton is category manager for car wash and other services revenue. Marketing director Jeff Beight oversees all foodservice. Jeff Lohns and Todd Newman are no longer with the division.
- Circle K Gulf Coast. Andre Benoit has joined as category manager for Circle K's Gulf Coast stores, responsible for all foodservice. He formerly was with ExxonMobil.
- Convenient Food Marts of NEPA. Andrew G. Zubert, former president, has retired. Christopher Gilchrist has taken over as president of the Pennsylvania company with 29 franchise locations. Jeannie Devirgilis left the company and her replacement has not yet been named.
- Delek U.S. Holdings Inc. (Mapco). Category managers Linda Schultz (dispensed beverages) and Tom Montgomery (candy/sweet snacks) and sales planning manager James Clifford have joined the Tennessee company. Kevin Lohmeyer is no longer with the chain.
- Enmark Stations Inc. (Colonial Group Inc.). Jerry Morris has retired as director of operations; Tom Kelly joined the company from Murphy USA to fill the position.
- Fastrac Markets LLC. Randy Case has been promoted to vice president of petroleum at the New York company. A search for a new CIO is underway.
- Giant Eagle Inc. (GetGo). Kevin Srigley, former senior vice president, left the company in March 2013.
- Graham Enterprises (Shell, Marathon, CITGO, BP). Brian Kapple is manager of operations for the Illinois chain that operates 37 stores.
- Kroger Co., Convenience Division. Van Tarver has announced he will retire in August. Earlier, Ken Nuss announced his retirement planned for July. Jeff Parker has been named president of convenience stores and small format.
- Kum & Go LC. Elio Valenzuela has joined the Iowa-based chain as multicultural category manager. He will work with all Kum & Go categories.
- Maverik. Tim Taylor has retired. Karen Brown has joined Maverik, focusing on dispensed beverages for the Utah-based chain of more than 250 stores.
- Midwest Petroleum. Chris Kenth has been hired as president of the 53-store chain in Missouri.
- Neu Mart (Mr. Car Tender, Peter Rabbit). Owner Mike Neutze handles all purchasing for the Kerrville, Texas, c-store chain.
- Pete's of Erie Inc. (Pump'n Pete's). Mike Allison, office manager, and Tosh Kubler, director of foodservice, have left the company.
- Rebel Oil Co. Inc. Larry Crisp replaced Les Rose as chief information officer at the Nevada chain with 53 stores.
- Red Hed Oil Co. (Redi Mart). Keith Deaton is general manager for the Kentucky chain and handles buying for the 21 c-stores.
- Redner's Markets (Quick Shoppes). Earl Redner retired as chairman of the Pennsylvania company.
- Sampson-Bladen Oil Co. (Han-Dee Hugo's). Haddon Clark has been named president of the North Carolina company; former president Rogers Clark stepped down. The chain operates 71 stores.
- Sheetz Inc. Louie Sheetz has stepped down after 36 years with company. Dave Woodley takes over as executive vice president of sales and marketing.
- Southwest Georgia Oil (Sun Valley Market & Deli). Melissa Williamson handles buying for the chain.
- Tri Star Energy LLC (Daily's). Jeff Williams is CFO. Former CFO Mark Cole was promoted to vice president of finance of the Nashville, Tenn. company.
In the News
- Iowa-based Al's Corner Oil Co. (Sparky's One Stop) with 27 locations, no longer has franchised stores.
- South Carolina's Brandi Companies (Pitt Stop) now uses H.T. Hackney to supply its 38 stores.
- CEFCO Convenience Stores (Fikes Wholesale) sold 25 underperforming stores and purchased two stores, which were converted to CEFCO. The Texas chain plans to double in size by 2015.
- Circle K Southwest, based in Dallas, added 23 stores, bringing total store count to 277. The stores were purchased from Albuquerque Convenience & Retail LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Phillips 66 Co.
- Delek U.S. Holdings Inc. (Mapco), the Tennessee-based company with 372 stores, plans to add E15 fuel to select locations in 2014.
- Florida's Farm Stores Grocery Inc. contracted with Sysco as its primary wholesaler for all 80 locations.
- Hawaii Independent Energy (HIE) Retail, Honolulu-based Tesoro Hawaii, is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Par Petroleum. The stations remain in Hawaii, while the refinery is in Houston.
- Oklahoma-based Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores Inc. is marking its 50th year, has plans to add as many as 30 new stores in 2014 and will enter Maryland, its 40th state.
- M.W.S. Enterprises Inc. (Yellow Goose Markets, Arrow Mart) completed the rollout of its Arrow Mart Rewards loyalty program by the end of 2013. The chain operates 52 locations in New York.
CSPedia--a product of CSP Business Media LLC, Oakbrook Terrace, Ill., produced out of the company's Mesa, Ariz., office--offers intelligence and insight into more than 470 convenience retail chains in the United States and Canada. It represents chains with 20 or more locations, or a total of more than 110,000 stores.
Company profiles include background and history on each chain, as well as information on their buying needs and marketing practices. CSPedia gathers information directly from the operators in one-on-one interviews with buyers. It includes contact information for key managers and buyers, along with biographies and photographs.