Family Express Wraps Up Energy-Efficiency Initiative
Retailer updates HVAC, lighting, coolers, canopies and more
VALPARAISO, Ind. -- Family Express has completed a comprehensive energy-efficiency initiative by retrofitting the entire chain of about 60 convenience stores with advanced technologies.
“This affords us the opportunity to not only to achieve the highest efficiency standards for our chain but to also grace our stores with superior lighting that is environmentally non-intrusive, yet pleasant and effective,” said Greg Laroux, vice president of facilities/IT.
Family Express was able to achieve its objectives by selecting multiple manufacturers, each one of them with particular expertise.
“We wanted to engage with the best performer in each area of energy efficiency, and in order to do so, we had to partner with those manufacturers that have a proven and accomplished record of achievement. Our initiative was comprehensive, and it included not just lighting, but an energy-intelligence system, new rooftop heating and air-conditioning units, motion sensors, etc.,” Laroux said.
The lineup of energy technology partners that Family Express aligned with is as follows:
- Dencor Energy Control Systems, Englewood, Colo.--Energy-intelligence system
- Trane, Indianapolis--High-efficiency rooftop heating and air conditioning
- Leviton Manufacturing Co., Melville, N.Y.--Motion-sensor switches
- LSI Industries, Cincinnati--Canopy lighting
- GE Lighting, Cleveland--Signage lighting
- Anthony, Sylmar, Calif.--Vertical refrigerated cases
- Hussmann, Bridgeton, Mo.--Horizontal refrigerated cases
Valparaiso, Ind.-based Family Express operates convenience stores throughout Northwest and North Central Indiana. The company’s business model is characterized by unique logistics. The logistics model consolidates 25 traditional DSD weekly deliveries into a single daily delivery achieving transportation efficiencies and unsurpassed freshness for perishables.