Summer 2014 - e-Vapor Volume Trends by Trade Channel
Electronic Vapor Trends
- The electronic nicotine delivery category is continuously evolving and now includes both cig-a-likes and liquids/vapors/mods products
- Measuring wholesale shipments to retail outlets, the majority of e-Vapor volume is sold through convenience stores, followed by tobacco outlets
- Since Q4 2013, liquids have been gaining some traction, accounting for at least 10% of total e-vapor volume in recent periods
- Through Q1 2014, the distribution of e-Vapor products increased to 42% of all retail outlets versus 30% year-ago
- 62% of c-stores and 74% of tobacco outlets sell at least one e-Vapor product
- Tobacco outlets have deeper penetration by product type than c-stores
- There is jockeying for leading brand position by both major and smaller tobacco manufacturers to capture adult consumers’ initial interest and continued loyalty to their brands
- Convenience retailers can grow e-Vapor volume by stocking these top selling products, as well as considering newer entrants with attributes that would have high appeal to adult consumers in this changing and expanding category
Click here to view the MSA study of wholesale shipments by channel, types and brands.
For More MSA articles: Click here.