Craft Brews Hit 7.8% of Total Beer Volume (Infographic)

Dollar value estimated at $14.3 billion

craft beer statistics

BOULDER, Colo. -- Craft brewers reached 7.8% volume of the total U.S. beer market in 2013, up from 6.5% the previous year. Additionally, craft dollar share of the total U.S. beer market reached 14.3% in 2013, as retail dollar value from craft brewers was estimated at $14.3 billion, up from $11.9 billion in 2012.

The Brewers Association (BA), the trade association representing small and independent American craft brewers, today released 2013 data on U.S. craft-brewing growth. As a primary driver of growth in the beer industry, craft brewers saw an 18% rise in volume, representing a total of 15.6 million barrels, and a 20% increase in retail dollar value.

“With this stellar year, craft has now averaged 10.9% growth over the last decade,” said Bart Watson, staff economist, Brewers Association. “Beer drinkers are excited about what small and independent brewers are offering, and that is evidenced by the rising production and sales of the craft segment.”

Additionally, the number of operating breweries in the U.S. in 2013 totaled 2,822, with 2,768 of those considered craft, demonstrating that craft breweries make up 98% of all U.S. operating breweries. This count includes 413 new brewery openings and 44 closings. Combined with already existing and established breweries and brewpubs, craft brewers provided 110,273 jobs, an increase of almost 2,000 from the previous year.

“Openings of brewing facilities continue to far outpace closings, demonstrating that the demand for high-quality, local, fuller-flavored beers is only increasing,” said Watson. “The geographic diversity of openings and production growth shows the national nature of this movement. In towns all across the country, craft brewers are creating jobs, delivering innovative products, advancing the beverage of beer and strengthening their local economies.”

The Brewers Association is the not-for-profit trade association dedicated to small and independent American brewers, their beers and the community of brewing enthusiasts.