MESA, Ariz. -- The staff of CSPedia, CSP Business Media's online encyclopedia of convenience store chains, gathers new insights and news and updates the listings for the nearly 500 retailers in its database on a daily basis. CSPedia delivers a monthly summary of these reports, often news not yet announced publicly, to its subscribers.
Here is a collection of some of the news and people updates from August 2014.
People on the Move
- Alimentation Couche-Tard. Russ Kidd was named director of private label, North America. He is based in Charlotte, N.C.
- Aloha Petroleum Ltd. dba Aloha Island Mart, Foodland Gas Station. Butch Galdeira is foodservice category manager of the Honolulu-based chain.
- Central Oil & Supply. Pat Stoner, former CFO, is no longer with the Louisiana company; this position has not been filled.
- Clark Oil Co. dba Clark's. Barry Rose, president of Clark's Food Stores of Mississippi, handles all buying for the 49-store chain.
- Coborn's Inc. dba Cash Wise, Save-A-Lot, Little Duke's, Coburn's, Holiday. Nathan Tykwinski is convenience division manager and vendor contact. David Ham and Emily Coburn are district managers. The Minnesota chain operates 79 stores.
- Coen Oil Co. Mary Beth Kohl is general manager and director of retail, following the retirement of Terry Kalna. The Pennsylvania company operates 32 stores.
- Dari Mart. Gary Straube retired as CEO. Contact for vendors is Kathy Gibson, vice president of operations and marketing for the family-owned Oregon chain.
- Dodge's Stores. Nat Leathers is CFO; Jeff Carter is vice president of marketing. The Mississippi-based company operates 54 stores.
- Fastrac Markets. David Hogan, former vice president of human resources, has been named vice president of foodservice for the New York chain. There is no replacement yet in the HR position. Rose Shirk, previously director of foodservice, is now pricebook manager; Robert Brown, previously with JP Morgan/Chase, is IT director.
- Jacksons Food Stores (Jackson Oil). Rick Wheldon is a new category manager for the Idaho company.
- Kum & Go. Connie Kelehan is the category manager for dispensed beverages. Erin Kouri has replaced Melissa Billman as category manager of owned brands (private label). The Iowa chain operates more than 400 stores.
- Modern Oil dba Kwick Stop. Breadan Sparkman Marshall has replaced her brother, Chance Sparkman, as vice president of operations for the Oklahoma chain. Chance Sparkman is no longer with the company.
- NOCO Energy Corp. dba NOCO Express. Jim DeFilippis was promoted to general manager of the NOCO Express division. The New York company operates 35 stores.
- Quality Petroleum dba QP, Pacific Pride. Jason Rhoden oversees Florida operations while David Meltons handles Alabama business for the chain of 35 stores.
- Following its purchase of the North Dakota company SPF Energy Inc., Parkland Fuel Corp., Alberta, has named Dan Dunstan as general manager.
- The Kent Cos. dba Kent Kwik. Richie Rodgers is the marketing contact. The Texas chain operates about 40 stores.
- Traxx Companies dba Shell Food Mart. Paul Koshgerian is no longer active as CEO and vendor contact for the Kentucky company. Christopher Nosal joined as vice president of marketing and is the vendor contact. Nosal formerly was with Kroger convenience.
- Wag-A-Bag. Controller Judy Vanover is retiring from the small Texas chain at the end of the year.
In the News
- Louisiana-based Brother's Petroleum LLC dba Brother's Food Mart plans to test a new loyalty program in 2015, is building a new website, and opened two new stores in summer 2014, bringing the store count to 37 locations.
- ConSun Food Industries dba Convenient Food Mart now has only 10 locations, including three that are operated by franchisees. The chain is based in Ohio.
- Tennessee chain Delek U.S. Holdings Inc. dba Mapco introduced My Mapco app, which allows customers to pay for gasoline at the pump via mobile devices. The chain has 472 locations.
- Downey Oil dba KenJo Marketing is introducing a new hot dog program, and in May 2014 it partnered with Drop Tank to offer fuel discounts at the chain's 35 company stores. The Tennessee chain has 64 locations.
- Michigan's Folk Oil Co. Inc. dba PS Food Marts, 115 Truck Stop selected Eby-Brown as its primary wholesaler for its 31 locations.
- Jackson Food Stores (Jackson Oil) reportedly will buy Danny's Family Cos. and its 13 stores in the Phoenix area in the wake of owner Danny Hendon's guilty plea on identity fraud charges. The Idaho company owns and operates more than 200 Jacksons stores. The chain also bought Pettit Oil's branded dealer business, bringing the number of its branded retail sites to more than 700.
- Arizona's 35-chain Reay's Ranch Investors LLC dba Minit Mart, Super Stop, Gordon's Market is being sold, with transaction expected to be completed in December. The buyer has not been announced.
- Parkland Fuel Corp., Canada's largest independent supplier of oil products, acquired SPF Energy Inc. (Superpumper) earlier in 2014, and the company is rolling out a new app to run its loyalty program. There are 14 Superpumper stores, and they are the first U.S. sites to be operated by the Canadian company.
- QuickChek Corp., for the fifth year in a row, was named one of the Best Places to Work in New Jersey by weekly business journal NJBIZ. It has also been named one of the best places to work in New York for the second consecutive year. The New Jersey chain has 136 locations.