CHICAGO — NACS has named Jared Scheeler, CEO of The Hub Convenience Stores Inc., as the association’s 2021-22 chairman. He began his term following the NACS board of directors meeting on Oct. 5 during the 2021 NACS Show in Chicago.
The Hub Convenience Stores is a chain of six stores operating in western North Dakota’s Bakken oil region. The company has established itself as the first upscale convenience chain based in North Dakota with a strong focus on foodservice and healthy food and snack options. The Hub operates its proprietary food concept called Hub Cafe and is also a franchisee of Godfather’s Pizza.
Scheeler began his career in the convenience industry in 1998 while attending the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. He held multiple roles with Minneapolis-based Bobby & Steve’s Auto World prior to founding The Hub in 2014. Scheeler has been an active partner with the Minnesota Service Station Association, as well as the North Dakota Petroleum Marketers Association. In 2015, The Hub won the North Dakota Division of Vocational Rehab Regional Employer of the Year. Scheeler also coaches junior high school basketball and is an avid volunteer for Trinity Catholic Schools, the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and Special Olympics.
- Scheeler was among CSP’s Indie Influencers of 2017 andIndie Innovators of 2018.
As NACS chairman, Scheeler also leads the NACS Executive Committee, which provides strategic direction and financial oversight to the association.
Committee members are:
- Vice Chairman, Treasurer: Don Rhoads, The Convenience Group LLC, Vancouver, Wash.
- Vice Chairman, Strategic Communications: Ken Parent, Pilot Flying J LLC, Knoxville, Tenn.
- Vice Chairman, Legislative: Andy Jones, Sprint Food Stores Inc., Wrens, Ga.
- Vice Chairman, Member Services: Lisa Dell’Alba, Square One Markets Inc., Bethlehem, Pa.
- Vice Chairman, Research and Technology: Chuck Maggelet, Maverik Inc., Salt Lake City, Utah
- Vice Chairman: Victor Paterno, Philippine Seven Corp. dba 7-Eleven Convenience Store, Mandaluyong, Philippines
- Vice Chairman: Brian Hannasch, Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc., Laval, Quebec
2020-21 NACS Chairman Kevin Smartt and 2019-20 NACS Chairman Julie Jackowski also serve on the Executive Committee.
During the meeting, NACS also named new retail members to its board:
- Frederic Chaveyriat, CEO of MAPCO Express Inc., Franklin, Tenn.
- Andrew Clyde, president and CEO of Murphy USA Inc., El Dorado, Ark.
- Terry Gallagher, president of Gasamat Oil Corp/Smoker Friendly, Boulder, Col.
- Doug Haugh, president of Parkland USA, Charleston, S.C.
- Raymond Huff, president of HJB Convenience Corp. dba Russell’s Convenience, Lakewood, Col.
- Jigar Patel, CEO of Hari 1 LLC, dba Fish River Food Mart, Fairhope, Ala.
During the NACS Show, the NACS Supplier Board also named new leadership and members. The association named Brent Cotten (pictured), senior director, customer and industry affairs at The Hershey Co., Hershey, Pa., as its 2021-22 NACS Supplier Board chairman.
In addition, it named Kevin Farley, COO of GSP, as chairman-elect and elected five new members to the NACS Supplier Board:
- Tony Battaglia, senior director of sales and industry affairs at JUUL Labs, Washington
- Matt Domingo, senior director external relations at Reynolds American Inc., Winston-Salem, N.C.
- Danielle Holloway, senior director industry engagement at Altria Group Distribution Co., Richmond, Va.
- Jim Hughes, vice president, convenience at Molson Coors Beverage Co., Chicago
- Sarah Vilim, director national retail sales, convenience retail at Keurig Dr Pepper, Plano, Texas
A member-driven organization, NACS is led by a 30-member board, which includes three retailers from non-North American countries. In addition, the chairman and chairman-elect of the NACS Supplier Board also serve on the board.
Founded in 1961 as the National Association of Convenience Stores, Alexandria, Va.-based NACS is a global trade association representing more than 1,500 retailer and 1,500 supplier members from more than 50 countries,
Members help make our journalism possible. Become a CSP member today and unlock exclusive benefits, including unlimited access to all of our content. Sign up here.