ALTOONA, Pa. -- Sheetz Inc. must know nothing builds mutual trust like sharing a good secret. The retailer is the most recent convenience-store chain to build a hidden menu into its touchscreen kiosks.
A customer in State College, Pa., was one of the first to spread the word about the items, posting images of a part of the menu named Pop’s Kitchen to social-media site Reddit. The user did not order anything, because the concoctions sounded “too crazy.”
The menu items, which apparently are not for the faint of stomach, include a series of classic menu mashups:
- French Toast Stick Mess: French toast sticks, bacon, sausage and scrambled eggs with cheese.
- Mac N’ Cheese Burger: Mac and cheese on a burger with ketchup, yellow mustard, American cheese and bacon.
- Meatball Pizza Sandwich: Meatballs, Provolone cheese and marinara, stuffed in a cheese pizza.
- Taco Quesadilla: Tacos, pico, Sheetz’s Boom Boom sauce and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Grilled Cheese Spicy Chicken Sandwich: Spiced chicken between double grilled cheese sandwiches, Buffalo sauce, tomatoes, lettuce and ranch dressing.
As of December, the c-store chain was testing the menu only in the college town. "If the test is successful in State College, we anticipate Sheetz to roll out the secret menu to the Pittsburgh area in early 2019," Jennifer Donahoe, a representative for the Altoona, Pa.-based company, told Y108.
Sheetz has been experimenting with under-the-radar menu options for the past few years. In 2017, customers could order quesadillas by clicking a camouflaged icon on a kiosk's home screen.
Good eye! https://t.co/TFYGgcTS35— Sheetz☕❄ (@sheetz) July 6, 2017
Sheetz follows its Pennsylvania rival Wawa Inc., which released its secret menu in April to celebrate the brand’s anniversary. The Wawa. Pa.-based company has updated the covert offerings seasonally. For Valentine’s Day, the retailer teased three decadent beverages on Twitter.
To: Our Fans— Wawa (@Wawa) January 28, 2019
Some secrets are meant to be shared...
Love: Your Secret Admirer 💌 pic.twitter.com/FxdQW9RWRa