KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — To celebrate the upcoming Memorial Day weekend and one of its busiest sales days of the year, Pilot Flying J has declared May 24, 2019, as National Road Trip Day. On the Friday before Memorial Day weekend, Pilot Flying J typically sees a 15% increase in fuel and food sales and sells an average of 5 million gallons of gasoline.
To mark the occasion, Pilot Flying J commissioned a survey of U.S. adults who take at least one road trip per year. The survey of 1,000 consumers found:
- Most (57%) go on a road trip—as opposed to taking a plane or other forms of transportation—because it is less expensive. The other most popular reasons include having more control over the trip and plans (51%) and being able to stop whenever wanted during the trip (50%).
- Road-trippers are motivated by loyalty programs. Nearly 3 in 10 said they would take road trips more often if they were members of a rewards program that made travel by car less expensive, and 68% said they would be more likely to stop at a fuel retailer that offers mobile rewards and fuel discounts.
- What makes a successful road trip? Most of the survey respondents (59%) prioritized good snacks and beverages, finding great places to eat and clean restrooms.
- The most essential road-trip snacks were chips and salty foods (52%); freshly made, grab-and-go foods (50%); and fast-food options (49%).
- Millennials and Generation Z are more likely than other age groups to value audio entertainment such as music, podcasts or audio books while on the road (67%), good snacks and drinks (63%) and good conversations (52%).
- Generation X and baby boomers care most about clean bathrooms (67%), great places to eat (63%) and nice rest stops where they can stretch their legs (56%).
- When choosing a rest stop, 58% of travelers are looking for a one-stop shop that offer fuel, food and beverages and restrooms to save time.
The survey also found that travel apps are very helpful to 42% of road-trippers. To celebrate National Road Trip Day, Pilot Flying J is offering users of its new mobile app $5 off their next purchase of $10 or more, redeemable May 21 to 27, with the use of the promo code ROADTRIP, beginning with purchases made on May 21. The app also offers a 3-cent-per-gallon discount on fuel purchases and offers on food and beverages.
Pilot Flying J is No. 12 in the Top 40 update to CSP’s2018 Top 202 ranking of c-store chains by number of retail sites. The Knoxville, Tenn.-based chain has more than 750 retail locations in 44 states, offers roadside assistance at more than 135 locations nationwide, has 44 Goodyear Commercial Tire and Service Centers and 34 Boss Shops. The Pilot Flying J network provides drivers with access to more than 72,000 parking spaces for trucks with Prime Parking at more than 400 locations, 5,200 deluxe showers and more than 6,200 diesel lanes with 5,200 offering DEF at the pump.