QuikTrip, Sheetz Shine on Fortune 'Best' List
QT rises, Sheetz debuts on national "100 Best Companies to Work For" ranking
NEW YORK -- QuikTrip Corp. and Sheetz Inc. represented the convenience store industry on Fortune magazine's annual "100 Best Companies to Work For" list--QuikTrip for the 12 year in a row, and Sheetz for the first time.
Each company earned its place on the list for its workplace practices, policies and procedures, and from employee feedback on company culture and work environment that Fortune gathered through independent surveys.
Tulsa, Okla.-based QuikTrip ranked at No. 48 for the 2014 list, rising from No. 66 last year.
"We are honored to be on the Fortune Best Companies to Work For list for the 12th consecutive year. Thank you to everyone for making this possible!", QuikTrip posted on Facebook.
"QuikTrip continues to enter new market places, introduce new products, build and operate new formats," president and CEO Chet Cadieux said in a written statement obtained by The Tulsa World. "Our purpose of giving our employees the opportunity to grow and succeed has never been stronger."
Click here to read the "inside story" on QuikTrip's "Best Companies" ranking, including detail on perks and hiring, as well as to read what employees say about their company.
QuikTrip, a privately held corporation, owns and operates approximately 675 retail outlets in 11 states.
Altoona, Pa.-based Sheetz debuted at No. 87.
"We are really proud that we've created a place that people feel good about coming to every day," said president and CEO Joe S. Sheetz. "We work very hard to constantly improve the work lives of our associates."
Maintaining and advancing workplace practices and environment is especially challenging for a company like Sheetz, said the company, which currently has just more than 15,000 employees working at 466 stores, corporate offices and support sites.
"Because of our size we work that much harder to implement comparable and attractive benefits for all," added Joe Sheetz. "Our team has been pretty creative though, developing practices that are a custom fit for our family of employees."
Sheetz consistently lands on state-level lists of best places to work. Four of the six states where Sheetz operates have competitions and the retailer is ranked in all of them. It has made the list in Pennsylvania 12 times in a row--the only company in the state to do so--and it hold spots in Virginia, Ohio and North Carolina.
What makes Sheetz a "best place to work":
- About 83% of current store managers were promoted from within; 68% of them started their Sheetz careers at an entry-level, hourly position.
- Employees who work part time for Sheetz can be eligible for benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), employee stock ownership and a quarterly bonus.
- The company's wages are in the top 10% of all retailers, and employees received more than $40 million in bonus money last year.
- The company rewards great work. Rewards have included two-day, all-expenses-paid resort retreats for employees celebrating service milestones and attendance at annual management conferences, typically held in warm-weather locations. Smaller rewards have included Show the Love Kits with posters, pins, cards and coupons that make it easy for employees to recognize coworkers for events in their lives and day-to-day on-the-job excellence.
- Sheetz employees say participation in fundraising and event planning for corporate charitable endeavors is one of their favorite things about working there. The retailer supports several corporate charities, as well as thousands of smaller projects in the more than 460 communities where it operates. Employees who demonstrate exceptional passion for community service are eligible for the annual Dan McMahon Spirit of Giving Award, and those who direct their passions specifically to Sheetz Family Charities program are eligible to be nominated to the Wish Givers Club, which sends winners to Give Kids the World Village in Orlando, Fla., to work with the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Click here to read the "inside story" on Sheetz's "Best Companies" ranking, including detail on perks and hiring, as well as to read what employees say about their company.
With more than $6 billion in annual revenue, Sheetz operates 466 locations throughout Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Maryland, Virginia, Ohio and West Virginia.