DEERFIELD, Ill. -- Mondelez International has issued its first report highlighting the candy and snack company's progress to meet its global well-being goals. The report details steps Mondelez has made to meet key well-being metrics in the areas of "mindful snacking," sustainability, communities and safety.
"Our business success is directly linked to enhancing the well-being of the people who make and enjoy our products and to supporting the communities where we grow our ingredients. It's this belief that inspired our 'Call For Well-Being'," said Irene Rosenfeld, chairman and CEO. "We've made important progress in answering this call. Yet we realize there's still more to be done. We'll continue working with our employees, partners and communities to develop solutions that help create lasting change."
The Call For Well-Being brings together employees, partners and suppliers to coordinate actions in the four key areas that support its global strategy to protect the well-being of the planet. Since the company's launch in Oct. 2012, Mondelez has advanced its well-being efforts by providing consumers with mindful snacking options; securing a sustainable agriculture supply; reducing its environmental footprint; partnering with communities to promote healthy lifestyles; and ensuring that the people who make and enjoy the snacks it makes are safe.
Following is a summary of the company's progress toward achieving these goals:
- On target to meet goal of delivering 25% of revenue from Better Choices by 2020. In 2013, 22% of revenue was from Better Choices products.
- On target to increase individually wrapped portion control options by 25% by 2020. Since 2012, Mindful Portion products grew by 7%.
- On target to reach goals to sustainably source key commodities. In 2013, 10% of cocoa, 56% of coffee and 44% of West European biscuits were sustainably sourced. Also, established third-party verification for the Cocoa Life program that will measure its impact on farmers and their communities.
- Achieved goal to have 100% of palm oil RSPO (Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil) - two years ahead of 2015 commitment.
- On target to reach global goals to reduce greenhouse gases (GHG) and water use in manufacturing by 2015. In 2013, reduced water use by 11% and GHG emissions by 9%.
- More improvement needed to reach goal of reducing energy use in manufacturing by 15% by 2015. Reduced energy use by 6% through 2013.
- Exceeded goal to reduce manufacturing waste by 15% by 2015 - 46% reduction through 2013.
- On target to meet goal to invest $50 million in lifestyle community partnerships. In 2013, allocated $25 million to programs covering 10 countries.
- On target to achieve FSSC 22000 (Food System Safety Certification) for all internal manufacturing facilities by 2015. By end of 2013, 75% of manufacturing sites were FSSC 22000-certified.
Click here to read a summary or the full 2013 Call for Well-being Progress Report.
Deerfield, Ill.-based Mondelez is a global snacking company with 2013 revenue of $35 billion. It is a world leader in biscuits, chocolate, gum, candy, coffee and powdered beverages, with billion-dollar brands including Oreo, LU and Nabisco biscuits; Cadbury, Cadbury Dairy Milk and Milka chocolate; Trident gum; Jacobs coffee and Tang powdered beverages.