WOONSOCKET, R.I. — A new survey conducted this summer shows that two-thirds of American adults (66%) are snacking at home more, and nearly three in five (59%) are choosing better-for-you snacks and meal solutions more often than they would have prior to the pandemic.
The survey, conducted online July 30 through August 3 by The Harris Poll on behalf of CVS Pharmacy, also found that when seeking better-for-you snacks and meal solutions for themselves or others, more than 4 in 5 American adults who purchase those items find that affordability (90%), variety of flavors/choices (89%), availability of choices that offer nutritional benefits (86%) and convenience (84%) are important.
- More than half of American adults who purchase better-for-you snacks or meal solutions for themselves or others (57%) say that availability of national or niche brands is important when seeking those items.
- More than two thirds of Americans (70%) wish it were easier to find better-for-you food options while on-the-go (for example, running errands, on the road or between appointments).
- More than half (56%) of those who purchase better-for-you snacks/meal solutions for themselves purchase nuts/trail mixes, and a similar proportion (55%) purchase snack bars.
- Most Americans (78%) who purchase better-for-you snacks or meal solutions for themselves say they are most likely to shop for them in-store.
- More than half of American adults (53%) say they find themselves choosing premade meal solutions (heat-and-eat items) to make mealtime easier.
CVS commissioned the survey as it makes a concerted effort to provide more healthy snack and meal options in its drug stores.
"Our customers are looking for ways to stay healthy," Marco Leone, senior director and divisional merchandise manager of consumables at CVS Health, said. "Our goal is to make it easier for our customers to be proactive on their path to better health by stocking their pantry with better-for-you food choices that support new routines and wellness needs."
The effort includes added pre-made "Fast Favorites" meal solutions from its own Gold Emblem abound and Gold Emblem lines. Both lines also offer an assortment of snacks and food staples, including options that are gluten-free, vegan friendly, USDA organic, non-GMO project verified, heart-healthy, high in protein, low in sodium, containing fiber, or cholesterol or sugar free.
Woonsocket, R.I.-based CVS Pharmacy, the retail division of CVS Health, operates nearly 10,000 locations, including more than 1,700 pharmacies inside of Target and Schnucks grocery stores.
Members help make our journalism possible. Become a CSP member today and unlock exclusive benefits, including unlimited access to all of our content. Sign up here.