WASHINGTON -- The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and 7-Eleven Inc., in partnership with ACI Worldwide’s OfficialPayments.com and PayNearMe, has announced a new payment option for individual taxpayers who need to pay their taxes with cash. U.S. taxpayers can now make a payment without the need of a bank account or credit card at more than 7,000 7-Eleven convenience stores nationwide.
“We continue to look for new ways to provide services for our taxpayers. Taxpayers have many options to pay their tax bills by direct debit, a check or a credit card, but this provides a new way for people who can only pay their taxes in cash without having to travel to an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center," said IRS commissioner John Koskinen.
- Taxpayers will receive an email from Official Payments confirming their information.
- Once the IRS has verified the information, PayNearMe sends the taxpayer an email with a link to the payment code and instructions.
- Individuals may print the payment code provided or send it to their smartphone, along with a list of the closest 7-Eleven stores.
- The convenience store provides a receipt after accepting the cash, and the payment usually posts to the taxpayer’s account within two business days.
- There is a $1,000 payment limit per day and a $3.99 fee per payment.
The IRS has been partnering with Official Payments since 1999 for taxpayers wanting to use a credit card to pay taxes.
In this new option, PayNearMe is currently available at participating 7-Eleven c-stores in 34 states. Most stores are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Previously, 7-Eleven has partnered with the federal government and PayNearMe on health insurance payments, with William Hill and PayNearMe on sports betting and with PayNearMe on bill payment services.
Irving, Texas-based 7-Eleven operates, franchises and licenses more than 10,700 7-Eleven convenience stores in North America. Globally, approximately 58,900 7-Eleven stores serve customers in 17 countries.