LAKEVILLE, Minn. -- In March, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued three Advance Notices of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPRM) seeking information, studies and data on the following:
- Setting a maximum level of nicotine in cigarettes and possibly other tobacco products.
- The role of flavors in tobacco products.
- The premium cigar category.
An ANPRM is only a request by the FDA for information, studies and data on a particular topic and is not a proposed regulation. Rather, the agency is seeking information to determine whether a new regulation should be proposed in the future.
The FDA has now extended the deadlines for the public and the industry to submit comments another 30 days. The new comment submission deadlines are as follows:
- Nicotine levels in cigarettes and possibly other tobacco products: July 16, 2018.
- The role of flavors in tobacco products: July 19, 2018.
- Premium cigars: July 25, 2018.
Tobacco retail association NATO has conducted a webinar on how to submit comments to the FDA on each of the agency’s three ANPRMs. The webinar was recorded and is now available for viewing. To watch the webinar, click here, fill in your name and e-mail address in the registration boxes, check the box below your e-mail address and then click the “Register” button.
For additional detailed instructions on how to submit comments to the FDA, read the NATO article that appeared in the NATO-CSP Tobacco E-News on June 6, 2018.
Members help make our journalism possible. Become a CSP member today and unlock exclusive benefits, including unlimited access to all of our content. Sign up here.