Gate Way to Growth
Gate Petroleum adding stores in Jacksonville, Fla., area
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Gate Petroleum Co. has filed plans for its fourth new convenience store in Southside, one of the Jacksonville, Fla., area's strongest retail, residential and office markets, reported The Financial News & Daily Record.
It also plans a new St. Johns County store at the World Commerce Center, said the report.
"Gate is identifying locations in the Northeast Florida market to better serve our customers and provide opportunity to our employees," spokesperson Kristen Beach told the newspaper. She said the company does not disclose investment costs.
Based on building permit information, the four Duval County stores represent what could be at least a $9 million investment in construction costs alone, the paper speculated.
The company has applied for reviews to build a gas station/convenience store and car wash in the Bayard area, which is near the St. Johns County line.
The 6,620-square-foot store and 28 fueling stations, along with a 1,421-square-foot car wash, would be developed on almost 4.1 acres along Philips Highway.
Gate said it was buying property to expand its convenience store chain. It has 73 company-operated stores and more than 200 independent dealer accounts in five states--Florida, Georgia, Kentucky and North and South Carolina.
With 41 c-stores in Northeast Florida and 31 in Duval County, the company's four new Southside locations and other properties include:
- A 6,616-square-foot store with 24 fueling positions and a car wash on 3.17 acres. It should open in February or March.
- A 3,968-square-foot store at Interstate 95 to replace a smaller store. It should open this spring.
- The 6,620-square-foot Bayard store with 28 fueling positions and a car wash on 4.1 acres. It should open in 2015.
- A 6,700-square-foot convenience store with 22 fueling positions and a car wash on almost 3.17 acres. The property is under contract and was to be purchased Jan. 16, according to the paper. The store should open late this year or in early 2015.
- The 4.47-acre St. Johns County site at International Golf Parkway is under contract and the property should be purchased Jan. 22.
- The Town Center Parkway construction costs total more than $2.5 million and the Emerson Street store is $900,000.
Beach said Gate is developing a site plan to add more fueling positions and store parking.