LOS ANGELES -- At 28,000 square feet, you can hardly call it a convenience store, but the first 365 by Whole Foods Market location opened in Los Angeles’ Silver Lake in late May, and it is clearly positioning itself as one, among other retail identities.
Of course, the organic apple doesn’t fall far from the rainforest, so it still carries over many of the elements pioneered by its earth mother, Whole Foods.
“The store offers a thoughtful selection of grab-and-go prepared foods, grocery items, unique venues and retail innovations that streamline the shopping experience for customers seeking convenience and value on high-quality products without artificial colors, sweeteners or preservatives,” the company said.
“Whether you’re looking for a quick in-and-out shop for a few items, stocking up for the week, or having a sit-down dinner at By Chloe with a beer from Allegro’s craft-brew bar, you’ll find a blend of innovation and convenience,” said Jeff Turnas, president of 365. “From the food offerings to the design, we’ve built a foundation on the quality standards you’ve come to expect from Whole Foods Market in a fun, new format that’s easy to navigate and focused on value in every department.”
Take a look at the channel-blurring similarities and the differences.
The look and feel of the store is streamlined to match its product selection. The Silver Lake location and subsequent stores are designed with convenience and efficiency in mind, to create an easy flow and streamlined customer experience.
- There are limited printed signs, all price tags are digital and customers should be able to see the entire store from where they stand when they walk in, much like a convenience store.
- The space is accented with blues, reds and yellows, denoting an “energetic, fresh vibe” that complements the light shades of green and blue in the brand’s logo.
- Taking a page from Kum & Go, with its 8-foot ampersand sculptures at its new c-stores, each 365 store will feature a signature piece of art that reflects the community in which it opens.
- Additional amenities include home delivery via Instacart, free Wi-Fi available in seating areas throughout the store, a bike rack and accessible parking.
A large grab-and-go section offers prepared-foods options; shoppers can order hot dogs, bowls made with quinoa, rice and veggies, and pizza from self-serve kiosks.
The menu includes:
- "Hot dogs” such as the vegan Carrot Dog made with a braised carrot, tamarind chutney slaw, cilantro and avocado served on a bun from Larder Baking Co.
- Pizza offerings such as the vegan veggie made with Kite Hill ricotta and chicken bulgogi with sauce made from Bianco DiNapoli tomatoes.
- Hot and cold bars with rotating items such as bibimbap and kimchee fried rice, chicken verde enchiladas and schichimi togorashi Brussel.
- Soups, including West African peanut, Tonkatsu chicken and vegetable, chicken Hlelemand and vegan coconut vegetable varieties.
- Everyday items that include brown rice, beans, tortillas and seasonal salads such as cauliflower and radicchio.
Friends and amenities
The store features several third-party venues, including:
- The Allegro Coffee craft-brew bar featuring cold-brew coffee and beers on tap, with more than 65 indoor and outdoor seats. The menu has espresso drinks, brewed coffee, loose-leaf tea blends, wine and local beers on tap and wine by the glass. Besides serving nitro and Vietnamese nitro cold brew on tap, skilled baristas will brew espresso drinks such as cortados, cappuccinos, Americanos and lattes; shoppers can choose from a selection of pastries and savory items such as spinach feta pinwheels, strawberry oat scones or a pain au chocolate.
- teaBOT is a customizable tea station that offers a self-serve kiosk, allowing customers to create personalized tea blends by choosing from a selection of 18 teas and herbal ingredients.
- By Chloe offers a vegan, kosher menu and 38 seats and a communal dining counter. The menu features quinoa taco salad, sweet potato mac-and-cheese and ice creams such as “Kale Cookies + Cream” and “Boozy Banana Bourbon” made with Woodford Reserve Bourbon.
Meat and seafood in a valley of veggies
The store offers about 30 ready-to-cook items, including chicken, meat, pork, seafood and marinated selections of meats from animals raised without antibiotics and added hormones.
All items are packaged for convenience. They include:
- Sustainably sourced fresh fillets, vacuum-packed fish and shellfish, and steaks and marinated options.
- A selection of 100% grass-fed organic beef and organic chicken.
The store has 5,000 square feet of produce with an extensive selection of organic and conventionally grown fruits and vegetables and “veg valley,” an enclosed area for chilled produce. It sells many items individually, and customers can weigh and sticker their own items. It also features value-priced floral selections at two price points: $5 and $10.
The store features an assortment of kombucha and cold-pressed juices from Suja, Evolution Fresh, Temple Turmeric and REBBL, as well as a curated collection of more than 400 wines, including eco-friendly and biodynamic options, a varied selection of special-occasion wines and fun beverages such as saké and sangria.
- The selection of wine is value-oriented; most bottles are priced at or below $20.
- 32 feet of chilled beer with an assortment of local craft beers, domestic favorites and unique imports.
- 365 has partnered with Banquet by Delectable, a mobile app that scans wine labels and provides instant descriptions and ratings.
Total pantry and the cold box
From a large selection of salty snacks to baking supplies, supplements and body care, the store offers departments with options for everyday grocery needs:
- An assortment of frozen meals, pet-food products and hundreds of 365 Everyday Value products.
- A bulk section with grains, flours, nuts, spices and candies available by the pound.
The store offers an assortment of yogurt, cage-free eggs and milk, including nondairy alternative milks and yogurts such as refrigerated rice soy, almond, coconut and flax. It also offers shelf-stable options such as almond, soy, rice, quinoa and hemp. It has a frozen section with 124 feet of entrées, ice cream, pizzas and more.
My 365 Rewards
The Silver Lake opening coincides with the launch of My 365 Rewards, a 100% digital loyalty program offering customers added value and personalized offers, product recommendations and deals based on individual preferences.
- "Gimme 10 Deals” provide 10% off products featured on the end caps throughout the store and select items chilled and frozen.
- Digital “Punch Buddy Cards” offer “buy 10 and get one free” on favorite items.
- "Yay for You!” offers complement shoppers’ product preferences.