Branded foodservice programs are becoming a winning strategy for modern convenience stores looking to differentiate themselves from their competition. As convenience stores continue to evolve into multifunctional destinations, the wide variety of foodservice program offerings is helping transform the c-store experience by appealing to consumer cravings and enticing them to continue to return for more.
In fact, the number of consumers who say they typically purchase prepared foods from convenience stores has increased dramatically according to Technomic’s 2022 C-Store Market Annual Report. In a six-month period, the number of consumers who said they typically purchase prepared foods when they enter a convenience store rose 10 points from 35%in April 2022 to 45%in October 2022. More than half of consumers (64%) said they purchase food service items once a week or more and during all dayparts. Forty-six percent purchase afternoon snacks; 34%lunch; 28%breakfast; 24%a morning snack; 20%an evening snack; and 16%purchase dinner items.
Benefits of foodservice offerings
- The power of visual appeal: Well-designed foodservice displays that include an easy-to-navigate layout and well-designed marketing collateral effectively stimulate curiosity and encourage customers to explore offerings.
- The allure of aromas: The sense of smell is an incredible tool for attracting consumers. These irresistible scents trigger cravings, making customers more likely to make an unplanned purchase.
- Taste, the ultimate decider: Quality food satisfies consumers’ cravings, and a positive tasting experience can transform a one-time visitor into a loyal, repeat customer.
Success comes in all serving sizes
Landhope Farms has served up fresh offerings to southeastern Pennsylvania for more than 50 years. With a corporate focus on fresh and quality food, Core-Mark’s innovative and flexible offerings were a perfect fit for the brand’s operations. Landhope Farms successfully integrated the branded Contigo Taqueria™ program into its foodservice operation at multiple sites and plans to launch Core-Mark’s Tru-Q BBQ program soon.
“Adding the Contigo Taqueria™ program was taking our already-solid foodservice program to another level. A Hispanic offering is the No. 1-requested segment we were missing—until Core-Mark presented us with their branded program,”said Dennis McCartney, director of operations, Landhope Farms. “From the burritos to the bowls and soft tacos, the items we’ve added have been a missing link for a big portion of our consumer base. The reception has been unbelievable. Sales catapulted when we decided to make it a part of our hot warmer plan-o-gram in addition to our made-to-order kiosk ordering system. We’re excited to partner with Core-Mark for additional opportunities, including the Tru-Q BBQ program and let’s just say our new year is going to have a few new products available at Landhope Farms!”
Landhope Farms has partnered with Core-Mark to offer the following branded foodservice programs:
- Contigo Taqueria™ offers authentic Mexican and Southwest foods for all dayparts. With this portfolio of products, retailers can broaden their offerings with build-to-order meals or items assembled onsite and packaged for grab-and-go. The program’s menu focuses on traditional classics as well as innovative on-trend options that include hard and soft-shell tacos, burritos, bowls, nachos, quesadillas, taco salads, papas fritas, breakfast, sides and desserts. Ingredients are fully prepared with choices such as beef, chicken, pork or veggies.
- Tru-Q BBQ™is a fully turnkey program that brings authentic barbecue to consumers in a quick-serve format. Items include 14-hour smoked brisket, pork butt and shoulder, ribs, pulled pork and chicken, burgers and smoked sausage that can be smothered in one of Core-Mark’s flavor-packed sauces, including original, sweet, smokey and jala-mango. The program offers more than 20 different homestyle sides, including six varieties of fries, two kinds of macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, collard greens, hushpuppies, dirty rice, biscuits and more.
The power of branding
In addition to the Contiga Taqueria™ and Tru-Q BBQ™ programs, Core-Mark offers additional branded programs to meet consumer taste preferences, including the Red Seal Pizzeria™, Deli 55™ and Perfectly Southern Fried Chicken™. Core-Mark has simplified the implementation process and offers full marketing support that includes signage, equipment and training materials all with no franchising fees.
By expanding c-store menu options with Core-Mark, retailers create a one-stop destination for unique, tasty meal selections. Whether it's a quick, satisfying breakfast, a savory lunch or a sweet treat, convenience store foodservice programs make it easy for consumers to get what they want when they want it. For more information, click here.
This post is sponsored by Core-Mark