NEW YORK -- Consumers have spoken: Mondelez International’s Oreo Chocolate Candy Bar is the top candy bar of 2018, according to this year’s Product of the Year Award.
For this year’s winners, consumer-voting award company Product of the Year collaborated with research firm Kantar TNS to pinpoint the top items across 31 categories. Categories included candy, food, beauty, personal care, household essentials, car care and first aid.
Product of the Year nominates new items that displayed innovation over the past year, and it picks a winner in each category based on the results of the consumer survey, which tallies more than 40,000 votes.
“Product of the year answers an essential question: ‘How do I find great new products? With so many launches, so many claims, how do you find the best?’ ” said Mike Nolan, CEO of Product of the Year. “This year, a record number of products entered to compete for the winning spot in their respective categories. With the help of 40,000 consumers nationwide, we are excited to champion these winners as they have achieved that validation. Product of the Year's distinctive red seal of approval continues to help shoppers find the best new products on the shelves and give the winners a well-earned competitive advantage.”
The winners were revealed at the company’s annual awards show in New York. "Saturday Night Live" alumnae Rachel Dratch and Ana Gasteyer co-hosted the ceremony, which also partnered with women's lifestyle digital website SheFinds.
Among the winners of the 2018 Product of the Year Award (click here for the full list) are:
- Bakery: Duncan Hines Perfect Size for 1 - Pinnacle Foods
- Beer: Heineken Coolerpack - Heineken USA
- Better-for-you snack: Aldi Elevation by Millville High Protein Bars - Aldi
- Breakfast: Sandwich Bros. Flatbread Pocket Breakfast Sandwiches - Kangaroo Brands Inc.
- Candy bar: Oreo Chocolate Candy Bar - Mondelez International
- Car care: Valvoline Easy Pour Bottle - Valvoline
- Convenience meal: Imagine Super Greens and Reds - Hain Celestial
- Feminine care: U by Kotex Fitness - Kimberly-Clark
- First aid: Curad SoothePlus - Medline Industries Inc.
- Frozen entree: Cooked Perfect Fire Grilled Chicken - Home Market Foods, Inc.
- Frozen sides: Green Giant Veggie Tots - B&G Foods
- Health and wellness: Pure Protein Super Food - The Nature's Bounty Co.
- Ice cream: Skinny Cow High Protein Packaged Low Fat Ice Cream - Nestle
- Ready-to-drink cocktail: Smirnoff Spiked Sparkling Seltzer - Diageo
- Snack cup: Aldi Friendly Farms Greek Yogurt Tilts - Aldi
- Spreads: Aldi Little Salad Bar Assorted Fresh Guacamole - Aldi
- Sugar confections: Toffifay - Storck USA LP
Established 30 years ago, Product of the Year operates in 37 countries and notifies consumers of the best products in their market, and it rewards manufacturers for quality and innovation. Winning products are revealed in February each year, and the products may use the Product of the Year logo in marketing communications for two years.
Kantar TNS, a data, insights and consultancy company, focuses on innovation, brand and communication, shopper activation and customer relationships.
Members help make our journalism possible. Become a CSP member today and unlock exclusive benefits, including unlimited access to all of our content. Sign up here.