DALLAS -- New Year's resolutions are the perennial letdowns, said 7-Eleven Inc. Health clubs, diet-book publishers and weight-loss centers depend on good intentions and short memories for a large portion of their revenues every year. Why is eating healthy and losing weight so hard? 7-Eleven corporate dietitian Patsy Ross said she thinks some resolution-makers try such drastic changes, completely giving up foods they love, that failure is inevitable.
"Extreme diets that promise quick-fixes seldom give lasting results," Ross said. "Balance and moderation beat deprivation every time, and you can find better-for-you choices at 7-Eleven stores."
- Strawberry Yogurt Parfait, 230 calories.
- Chobani fat-free Greek Yogurt with Fruit, 140 calories.
- Fruit Cup, 50 to 100 calories (depending on variety).
- 7-Smart Oven-roasted Turkey Sandwich (300 calories) and Fresh Strawberry Fruit Cup (6 ounces = 50 calories).
- Taquito (190 to 250 calories) and Cheddar Cheese with Carrots and Celery cup (140 calories).
- Chicken Tender (approximately three ounces = 160 calories), garden salad (30 calories) and low-fat vinaigrette salad dressing (10 calories).
- Three Buffalo Boneless Wings (180 calories) and Strawberry-Kiwi-Mango Fruit Cup (70 calories).
- Bistro Chicken Caesar Salad, 230 calories.
- Four-Cheese Pizza Slice (280 calories) and Pineapple-Grape Cup (6 ounces = 80 calories).
- Bumble Bee Tuna in water (2 ounces = 50 calories), Boiled Eggs (2 = 140 calories) and whole apple (1 medium = 72 calories) or banana (1 medium = 105 calories).
- Weight Watchers Smart Ones Three-Cheese Ziti frozen entree (300 calories).
- 7-Select Pretzel sticks, 110 calories (2.5 servings per bag).
- 7-Select Peanut Butter on Toasted Crackers, 180 calories.
- 7-Select Kettle Corn, 120 calories.
- Fresh red grapes, 90 calories (6 ounces).
- Watermelon bit-size pieces (when in season), 103 calories (12 ounces).
- M&Ms chocolate-covered pretzel pieces, 150 calories.
- 7-Select Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins, 240 calories.
- Crystal Light Sugar-free Slurpee drink, 80 calories (16 ounces).
- Lipton Diet Green Tea in bottle, 0 calories.
- Diet A&W Root Beer, 0 calories.
- 7-Select Vegetable Juice, 50 calories (8 ounces).
- Hot tea brewed at Hot Beverage Bar, 0 calories.
- 7-Select Bottled Water, 0 calories.
- Fat-free French Vanilla Cappuccino (160 calories per 8 ounces).
"Whether counting points, calories, carbohydrates or fat grams, 7-Eleven has something for everyone," Ross said. "Dieting shouldn't be hard. In fact, some dietitians don't even like the D-word (diet)."
For those who already like healthier alternatives, 7-Eleven carries items like veggie cups, cut fruit, boiled eggs, Greek yogurt, salads and bottled water.
"For individuals' still sticking to their New Year's resolutions of eating healthier, 7-Eleven has lots of options every day of the year," said Ross.
Based in Dallas, 7-Eleven operates, franchises or licenses more than 9,100 7-Eleven stores in North America. Globally, 7-Eleven has approximately 44,700 stores in 16 countries. During 2010, 7-Eleven stores worldwide generated total sales close to $63 billion.
Members help make our journalism possible. Become a CSP member today and unlock exclusive benefits, including unlimited access to all of our content. Sign up here.