Category Management Handbook

General Merchandise: Prepaid & Financial Services 2016

Lottery Sales by State*

Fiscal year 2014

What follows is a breakout by state of c-store and gas station lottery sales for the most recent fiscal year. Sales dollar figures include draw games—Pick 3, Pick 4, Mega Millions and Powerball—and scratch-off instant games.

Source: La Fleur/TLF Publications Inc. | * States in gray not represented in the data


C-Store Lottery Sales by State

StateC-store/gas station agentsFiscal year 2014 sales ($ millions)
Arizona2,150.0$490.9
Arkansas1,428.0$360.3
California9,293.0$2,259.4
Colorado1,750.0$366.5
Connecticut1,871.0$771.5
Delaware290.0$71.8
D.C.128.0$62.4
Florida9,329.0$3,508.2
Idaho660.0$136.6
Indiana2,845.0$787.2
Kansas1,097.0$200.2
Kentucky1,981.0$660.6
Louisiana2,427.0$384.9
Maryland2,018.0$893.7
Massachusetts3,967.0$3,238.5
Michigan4,563.0$1,102.1
Minnesota2,089.0$420.5
Missouri2,871.0$832.8
Montana408.0$33.8
Nebraska819.0$122.1
New Hampshire862.0$199.5
New Jersey2,765.0$1,472.4
New Mexico874.0$109.0
New York5,262.0$2,408.3
North Carolina5,946.0$1,618.9
North Dakota352.0$20.1
Ohio4,875.0$1,519.5
Oklahoma1,703.0$177.9
Oregon1,264.0$134.7
Pennsylvania3,960.0$1,962.2
Rhode Island495.0$125.7
South Carolina2,634.0$979.4
South Dakota462.0$42.8
Texas13,186.0$3,647.5
Vermont496.0$82.8
Virginia3,935.0$1,406.5
Washington2,674.0$353.5
West Virginia982.0$149.6
Wisconsin2,665.0$436.9
Total107,376.0$33,551.3
Percentage of total55.9%**59.1%***

Source: La Fleur/TLF Publications Inc. | ** C-stores and gas stations as a percentage of total lottery outlets | *** C-store and gas stations’ sales as a percentage of total lottery sales

Continued: ATM Use, Mobile Payments & the Unbanked Consumer

ATMs and Payment Methods

A 2015 online survey of consumers found that more than 60% of consumers paid for c-store purchases in the past year with cash. More statistics:

What type of payment method have you used in the past year for a c-store purchase?

  • Cash 63%
  • Debit 41%
  • Credit 31%
  • Check 3%
  • Contactless 3%
  • Mobile pay 1%
  • Other 4%

What type of payment method have you used in the past year for a gasoline purchase?

  • Cash 44%
  • Debit 44%
  • Credit 46%
  • Check 3%
  • Contactless 2%
  • Mobile pay 2%
  • Other 4%

Thinking back to the last time you used an ATM, how much money did you withdraw?

  • $20 17%
  • $40 15%
  • $60 10%
  • $80 4%
  • $100 15%
  • $120-$180 6%
  • $200+ 15%

How much money from your last ATM withdrawal did you spend that same day?

  • None: 18%
  • Less than 25%: 30%
  • 25%-50%: 28%
  • More than 75%: 10%
  • All: 14%

Sources: Edelman Berland, Cardtronics



Consumer in Focus

According to a 2015 consumer survey by Packaged Facts, 25% of users of reloadable prepaid cards use a card issued  directly by their bank. Wal-Mart’s MoneyCard was the top choice at 26% usage penetration, followed closely by  American Express Serve (24%), NetSpend (24%), Green Dot (21%) and American Express Bluebird (16%). Banked consumers were significantly more likely to use American Express Serve, while unbanked consumers favored NetSpend and Green Dot.


The Prepaid Market Basket

An analysis of c-store point-of-sale (POS) data by Management Science Associates found that 62% of prepaid-card transactions included just that item. For the remaining 38%, the top items most often included in the basket were:

  1. Premium cigarettes
  2. CSDs
  3. Energy drinks
  4. Chocolate bars/packs
  5. Gum
  6. Bottled water
  7. Branded discount cigarettes
  8. Cigars
  9. RTD iced tea
  10. Sports drinks

Source: Management Science Associates

Continued:

PAGE

 


General Merchandise: What to Watch

Health Care

Personal Care

Specialty

CMOY General Merchandise: Steve Desautels

View the full 2016 Category Management Handbook

Members help make our journalism possible. Become a CSP member today and unlock exclusive benefits, including unlimited access to all of our content. Sign up here.

Multimedia

Exclusive Content

Snacks & Candy

How Convenience Stores Can Improve Meat Snack, Jerky Sales

Innovation, creative retailers help spark growth in the snack segment

Technology/Services

C-Stores Headed in the Right Direction With Rewards Programs

Convenience operators are working to catch up to the success of loyalty programs in other industries

General Merchandise/HBC

How Convenience Stores Can Prepare for Summer Travel Season

Vacationers more likely to spend more for premium, unique products, Lil’ Drug Store director says

Trending

More from our partners