ANKENY, Iowa — Casey’s General Stores Inc. has been recognized for having a gender-balanced board by 50/50 Women on Boards, a global education and advocacy campaign for the movement toward gender balance and diversity on corporate boards.
- Casey's is No. 4 on CSP’s 2021 Top 202 ranking of c-store chains by number of company-owned retail outlets.
A Fortune 500 company, Ankeny, Iowa-based Casey’s operates more than 2,230 retail fuel outlets and convenience stores in 16 Midwestern states, primarily Iowa, Missouri and Illinois.
Women directors hold 50% of its corporate board seats, making Casey’s one of only 173 (6%) of Russell 3000 companies with a gender-balanced board.
Casey’s 10 board members include:
- H. Lynn Horak, board chair, past regional chairman, Wells Fargo Regional Banking
- Darren Rebelez, president and CEO, Casey's General Stores Inc.
- Diane Bridgewater, executive vice president, CFO and administrative officer, LCS
- Donald Frieson, executive vice president of supply chain, Lowe's Cos.
- Cara Heiden, retired co-president, Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
- David Lenhardt, former president and CEO, PetSmart Inc.
- Larree Renda, retired executive vice president, Safeway Inc.
- Judy Schmeling, former COO, HSN Inc., former president of Cornerstone Brands
- Gregory Trojan, CEO, BJ's Restaurants Inc.
- Allison Wing, CEO, Joywell Foods Inc.
“At Casey’s, we are committed to gender balance and diversity and are honored to be recognized for the women representation we have on our board of directors,” said Darren Rebelez, president and CEO of the convenience-store chain. “We also recognize that there is still work to be done and we challenge leaders to continue advancing gender balance and diversity throughout their organizations.”
“Over the last decade, our 50/50 Women on Boards Gender Diversity Index reveals the gradual acceleration of women to corporate boards; however, there is still a significant gap to achieve gender balance,” said Betsy Berkhemer-Credaire, CEO of 50/50 Women on Boards. “It’s critical that we recognize these milestones and acknowledge corporations, such as Casey’s, for leading by example toward gender balance and diversity on corporate boards.”
50/50 Women on Boards is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that tracks and reports on gender diversity on corporate boards. It produces educational programs that include the annual Global Conversation on Board Diversity; Get on Board! Workshops for board-ready women; and Path to the Boardroom for mid-career women wanting to become board ready.
Members help make our journalism possible. Become a CSP member today and unlock exclusive benefits, including unlimited access to all of our content. Sign up here.