NEW YORK —Mars Wrigley Confectionery, Nestle and Walgreens were among the companies recognized in the 2019 Nielsen Design Impact Awards.
The awards honor successful package redesigns in the consumer packaged goods space, and for the first time since the competition’s start, it accepted nominations from around the world.
“Great package design can be found in every market, yet it rarely gets the recognition it deserves,” said Kyle McKinley, vice president of Nielsen BASES Design Solutions. “We created the Nielsen Design Impact Awards to honor brands that are elevating the role of packaging in the marketing mix, bringing light to the tremendous contribution effective package design brings to a brand’s bottom line.”
M&M’s stand-up pouches, Nestle’s Prestigio chocolate-coconut bars and Walgreens Nice food, snack and beverage products were among those awarded.
Hundreds of brands submitted product package redesigns launched between Jan. 1, 2016, and Jan. 1, 2018. New York-based Nielsen reviewed in-market performance using its retail measurement sales data. The global management and data analytics company identified brands that experienced a demonstrable increase in retail dollar sales and units during the year that followed the redesign launch. It also conducted a survey of thousands of consumers to assess how each redesign addressed its communication objectives and to gauge purchase preference between the old and new packages.
Other products that were recognized included Alpura milk cartons, MAQ home care products, Playboy fragrances, Skyr’s Icelandic yogurt, Arawana Oil, Hess Select wine and Satis seasonings.
“[The winners] are leaning into design to stretch beyond a category norm, using design to address white space or leveraging design to respond to shifts in consumer preferences and behavior, whether that’s the growth of health and wellness, increasing screen time or changing retail platforms,” McKinley said. “Ultimately, this year’s winners were best in class at creatively using their pack redesign as the vehicle to effectively address the evolving needs of today’s consumer.”
The 10 winners were:
- Nice (U.S.; parent company: Walgreens; design agency: Soulsight)
- M&M’s (U.S.; parent company: Mars Wrigley Confectionery; designed by: Mars Wrigley Confectionery)
- Icelandic Provisions Skyr (U.S.; parent company: Icelandic Provisions; design agency: Moxie Sozo)
- Hess Select (U.S.; parent company: The Hess Collection Winery; designer: Michael McDermott)
- Alpura (Mexico; parent company: Alpura; design agency: Foic Lecanda)
- Arawana Oil (China; parent company: Yihai Kerry; design agency: Dongdao Creative Branding Group and Posher Design)
- MAQ (South Africa; parent company: Bliss Brands; design agency: Fountainhead)
- Playboy Deodorants (South Africa; parent company: Amka Products; design agency: Sainsbury Design)
- Prestigio (Brazil; parent company: Nestle; design agency: DBA B+G)
- Satis (Brazil; parent company: Ajinomoto do Brazil; design agency: Arcwwbrasil)