IRVING, Texas — 7-Eleven Inc. has introduced mobile checkout in New York, letting customers skip the checkout line and pay for their purchases using the 7-Eleven app.
This new frictionless shopping experience is integrated into the 7Rewards loyalty program, and customers can automatically earn and redeem any available 7Rewards points or coupons as well as in-store promotions. For a limited time, New Yorkers can take advantage of an exclusive introductory offer for using mobile checkout and receive up to $5 off of their first transaction.
Mobile checkout works on both Android and iOS devices and is available for most 7-Eleven merchandise that has a barcode. Some items still require cashier assistance, such as financial services and age-verified products such as alcohol, tobacco and lottery tickets. All payment transactions can be made securely through debit card, credit card, Apple Pay or Google Pay.
“More people are on the go and looking for faster, easier ways to shop than ever before. 7-Eleven continues to redefine convenience with frictionless experiences like mobile checkout. Our customers use their smartphone for all kinds of activities that save them precious time,” said Gurmeet Singh, executive vice president and chief digital, information and marketing officer for 7-Eleven. “Now with the mobile checkout feature, customers can control their entire 7-Eleven shopping experience. Not only that, but customers can earn and redeem points on a variety of products when using mobile checkout.”
After testing mobile self-checkout with employees at its Store Support Center store, 7-Eleven piloted the concept in a few Dallas locations in 2018 to get customer feedback, conduct real-world tests and refine the process.
To use mobile checkout, customers:
- Update to the latest version of the app or download it from the Google Pay or App Store to ensure it has the mobile checkout capability.
- Open the app in a participating store and tap “Get Started” on the home page.
- Scan the barcode on a product to add it to the basket. It applies discounts and promotions automatically.
- Pay for purchases using Apple Pay, Google Pay or a traditional debit or credit card.
- A QR code appears in the app once payment is made. The customers scans the QR code at the confirmation station to confirm the purchase. A tone lets the cashier know a customer has used the mobile checkout feature to make a purchase.
Based in Irving, Texas, 7‑Eleven operates, franchises or licenses more than 69,000 stores in 17 countries, including 11,800 in North America. 7-Eleven is No. 1 in CSP’s2019 Top 202 ranking of c-store chains by number of retail outlets.