IRVING, Texas — 7-Eleven has expanded its Mobile Checkout contactless shopping feature to an additional 2,500 stores across the United States. Using the 7-Eleven app, customers can scan items and pay for purchases without standing in a checkout line. Mobile Checkout is now available in more than 3,000 participating 7-Eleven stores in 32 states and Washington, D.C.
The frictionless shopping experience is a benefit of the 7Rewards loyalty program where members can earn and redeem points on product purchases and receive coupons and promotional pricing. As an incentive to try Mobile Checkout, for a limited time, 7-Eleven is offering 10 times the reward points for every purchase made using the new feature in the app.
“After over a year of living through the pandemic, Americans have a new perception of what convenience looks like. For many, it’s a contactless shopping experience without waiting in line,” says Raghu Mahadevan, digital senior vice president for 7-Eleven Inc. “Luckily, we were already testing Mobile Checkout and had begun expanding 7NOW home delivery to hundreds of markets before lockdowns occurred. Now, we are accelerating the expansion of Mobile Checkout to ensure customers can shop at 7-Eleven the way they want to shop—safe and convenient.”
Using Mobile Checkout on the 7-Eleven app involves the following steps:
- Download the 7-Eleven mobile app from the App Store or Google Play or update the app to the latest version to ensure it has the Mobile Checkout capability.
- Register for or log into the 7Rewards loyalty program.
- Open the app in a participating store and tap the “Mobile Checkout” icon on the home page.
- Scan the barcode on each product to add it to the basket. Discounts or promotions will be applied automatically.
- Pay for purchases in the app using Apple Pay, Google Pay or a debit or credit card. Customers can also pay with the 7-Eleven Wallet feature of the app.
- Confirm purchase by scanning the on-screen QR code at the confirmation station before exiting the store or show it to a sales associate to confirm payment for the purchase.
Mobile Checkout works on both Android and iOS devices and is available for most 7-Eleven merchandise that has a bar code. Some items still require cashier assistance, such as financial services and age-verified products such as alcohol, tobacco and lottery tickets. The company plans to expand Mobile Checkout to all U.S. stores by the end of 2022.
Mobile Checkout is available at participating stores in major U.S. markets, including New York City, Boston, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, Chicago, Orlando, Miami, Dallas, Denver, Las Vegas, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland and Seattle.
Based in Irving, Texas, 7-Eleven Inc. operates, franchises or licenses more than 72,800 stores in 17 countries, including more than 13,000 in the United States.