CHICAGO — The National Restaurant Association announced the recipients of the 2022 Food & Beverage (FABI) Awards on March 16.
The 24 winning products are recognized for their uniqueness, taste, creativity and sales potential.
“No matter your role in foodservice, you can find inspiration in these products,” said Tom Cindric, president of Winsight Exhibitions. “Whether it be optimizing your menu with more plant-based options, exploring flavors from other countries or seeing how classic brands are re-imagining flavors, these products answer the question ‘what’s next for foodservice’?”
Each FABI award submission was evaluated by an independent panel of judges from across the foodservice and restaurant industry. These are the winners for 2022:
- Angel’s Artisan Pocket Bread, Angel Bakeries. Extra-large, fluffy pita breads with multiple uses across the menu.
- The Better Fish Skinless Barramundi IQF Portion, Australis Aquaculture. Sustainable ocean-farmed 4-ounce fish that’s perfectly portioned for many applications.
- Beyond Pepperoni, Beyond Meat. A plant-based pizza topping that looks and tastes very much like the meat version.
- Blind Tiger Spirit-Free Cocktails & Mixers, Blind Tiger LLC. On-trend zero-alcohol beverages to drink on their own or mixed into a cocktail.
- Demitri’s Bloody Mary Seasoning, Demitri’s Gourmet Mixes. A bartender-created mixer to create a quick, authentic classic brunch cocktail.
- Impossible Meatballs Made From Plants, Impossible Foods. The brand’s plant-based burger and sausage blends rolled into a savory meatball.
- Java Trading Thai Iced Coffee Latte, Distant Lands Coffee. The ready-to-drink blend of coffee, milk, sugar and cardamom captures the traditional Thai version.
- JUST Egg Folded, Eat Just Inc. A plant-based egg product ready to pop into breakfast sandwiches or on the plate.
- Plant-based Salmon Burger, Good Catch. Easy-to-serve plant patty with a rich salmon flavor and touch of citrus.
- Oatly Frozen Dessert Bars—Strawberry Swirl, Oatly. Nondairy milk swirled with real strawberries and coated with chocolate for a frozen treat.
- Nitro Pepsi, PepsiCo Foodservice. Nitrogen-infused soft drink with smaller bubbles and smooth, creamy texture.
- Ripple Dairy-Free Soft Serve, Ripple Foods. Creamy, dairy-free soft serve that goes from machine to cone or cup.
- Sabatino Tartufi Truffle Parmesan Seasoning, Sabatino Truffles. All-natural truffle seasoning combined with Parmesan to instantly add elevated Italian flavor.
- Chimichurri, Sevillo Fine Foods. Authentic Argentinian herb sauce in a readily accessible frozen pouch.
- Cremino Individual Dessert, Taste It Presents. Elegant three-layer mousse dessert with hazelnut and chocolate flavors.
- Mascarpone Semifreddo Bar Cake, Taste It Presents. Rich Bavarian cream and Italian mascarpone on sponge cake base with touches of chocolate.
- Sorbissimo, Taste It Presents. Sippable, creamy blend of sorbet and a frappe for a drinkable dessert.
- TINDLE, Next Gen Foods. Breaded plant-based chicken filet with the seasoning, texture and juiciness to mimic real fried chicken.
- Taste Republic Pre-Cooked IQF Gluten-Free Four Cheese Tortelloni, Tribe 9 Foods. Gluten-free pasta pillows filled with mozzarella, Parmesan, asiago and ricotta.
- Nature’s Raspberries Frozen Fresh in White & Dark Chocolate, TruFru LLC. Single-serve fruit snack to grab and go for a healthier indulgence.
- Pina Colada-Natures Pineapple Frozen Fresh in White Chocolate & Coconut; Tru Fru LLC. Chocolate- and roasted coconut-covered pineapple slices for guilt-free snacking.
- Hillshire Farm All Natural Fully Cooked Pork Chorizo Crumbles, Tyson Foods Inc. Minimally processed to deliver sought-after flavor, appearance and texture.
- Tyson Chicken n’ Waffle Sandwiches. A new take on a chicken breakfast sandwich, combining sweet, spicy and savory flavors.
- Zusto—Sugar Substitute, Zusto. Patented blend of dietary and plant-based fibers delivers true sugar taste.
The 2022 winning products will be on display and available for tasting—along with the awardees from 2020 and 2021—at Chicago’s McCormick Place during the National Restaurant Association Show, which runs from May 21-24. A session called “Breaking New Ground in Food and Beverage” will take place Sunday, May 22, featuring the FABI judges discussing how food and drink innovations are leading to major shifts in the industry.
The show is owned and operated by Winsight LLC, the parent company of Restaurant Business and CSP, in equity partnership with the National Restaurant Association.
Members help make our journalism possible. Become a CSP member today and unlock exclusive benefits, including unlimited access to all of our content. Sign up here.