PURCHASE, N.Y. — The week of July 4 represents the biggest snacking week of the entire year for Frito-Lay, according to the company.
To explore where, when and how Americans will snack this summer, Frito-Lay conducted its latest U.S. Snack Index just in time for the warmer months.
From family reunions, pool parties, road trips and camping, the survey shows that Americans are very specific when it comes to picking the perfect snack for every summer occasion.
What’s more, the U.S. Snack Index shows that while everyone can agree summer means snacking, there are differences by generation and geography in the way Americans snack when the heat is on, the company said.
Some of the findings include:
- Chips reign supreme across most summer occasions with just more than half of Americans (51%) choosing to bring chips to a backyard barbecue, cookout or picnic over any other type of snack.
- Guests don’t show up empty-handed; 3 in 4 adults (77%) come to summertime events armed with snacks.
- Chicago likes new, spicy and bold flavors significantly more than Americans in general, with 44% in Chicago going for new flavors over traditional (31% overall).
- When it comes to rooftop gatherings, corn and tortilla chips (36%) are ahead of the pack.
- But for backyard barbecues, cookouts and picnics, potato chips (43%) are the clear winner.
Here's a look at some other findings:
Frito-Lay is a division of Purchase, N.Y.-based PepsiCo.