Snacks & Candy

Mars to Debut Extra Refreshers in April

Sugar-free gum garnered 85% of total retail gum sales in 2018, according to Packaged Facts
extra refreshers
Photograph courtesy of Mars Inc.

CHICAGO -- Mars Inc. has revealed that Extra Refreshers, its newest new sugar-free gum product, will arrive at retailers nationwide in April.

The square-shaped gum comes in three flavors: Spearmint, Polar Ice and Tropical Mist, all of which will be available in 40-count bottles and 120-count stand-up pouches for suggested retail prices of $3.49 and $7.69, respectively. Extra Refreshers is the first soft chew gum added to the Extra portfolio, according to Mars.

  • Click here to read Mars Wrigley’s best practices for merchandising candy in convenience stores.

Sugar-free gum was at the forefront of the category’s sales in 2018. The better-for-you option accounted for 85% of total retail gum sales, while traditional gum garnered the other 15%, according to research firm Packaged Facts, Rockville, Md.

"For almost 40 years, Extra Gum has been committed to providing long-lasting flavor that gum chewers crave,” said Justin Hollyn-Taub, marketing director for the Mars Extra Gum brand. “Given how fast soft chew is growing and with Extra as the No. 1 gum brand in the U.S., this new innovation is poised to become one of the most popular items in the confections aisle and a key driver for category growth. Consumers who have tried the new gum love it, and we are excited for it to hit shelves nationwide this April.”

This marks Extra's first product launch since it released Extra Chewy Mints in March 2018. Mars will support the Extra Refreshers launch with a full-scale marketing campaign this spring, including TV, print, online and in-store advertisements.

"When we set out to develop a new line of Extra Gum, we wanted to create a totally new gum experience,” said Hollyn-Taub. “So we went to work examining how to deliver a new refreshing experience for both your mouth and mind. Feedback so far has been outstanding. Those who tried it reported Extra Refreshers gum gave them an intense burst of flavor that left them feeling instantly revived.”

McLean, Va.-based Mars Inc. is a global manufacturer with more than $35 billion in sales. Besides Extra, the brands in its Mars Wrigley Confectionery division include M&M's, Snickers, Dove, Milky Way, Twix, Doublemint and Skittles.

Members help make our journalism possible. Become a CSP member today and unlock exclusive benefits, including unlimited access to all of our content. Sign up here.

Related Content


More from our partners