NASHVILLE, Tenn. — MAPCO, with more than 300 convenience stores throughout the Southeast, has revamped its design with a new open floor plan, new technology options and more as part of its recently revealed “Store of the Future” concept.
- MAPCO is No. 24 on CSP’s 2022 Top 202 ranking of convenience-store chains by store count.
MAPCO began introducing its enhanced open floor plan with five stores in 2021, including its rebuilt Nashville flagship location, and the retailer plans seven additional store openings for 2022. It is also rebuilding more than a dozen existing stores using the new model.
The company designed the model in collaboration with retail design firm Chute Gerdeman, Chilean design firm Vial AG and Architect of Record HFA.
New technology at renovated stores includes touchscreen fountain machines with more than 20 beverage options, including ICEE and fresh coffee.
These locations also offer new food displays including roller grills, hot and cold grab-n-go options, gondolas of snacks, commonly needed household items and a beer cave. The updated interior includes expanded restrooms with modern large-scale tiles and custom tile backsplashes, and bright messaging throughout the store to guide guests.
“The MAPCO team is doubling down in 2022 on our commitment to offering our guests a Better Break, where they can refresh and recharge at their pace,” said Frederic Chaveyriat, CEO of MAPCO. "Our new slate of modernized stores are just the latest examples of how we go above and beyond to deliver the best customer experience, and we cannot wait to have our guests enjoy them.”
Technology at select MAPCO locations includes:
- MAPCO Scan App: At 50 MAPCO stores, customers can download the MAPCO Scan app, which allows them to check out through their smartphone as they shop.
- Grabango Cashierless Checkout: Beginning in Fall 2022, customers at two MAPCO locations in Nashville can access checkout-free technology through Grabango’s cashierless technology. There, customers can download the Grabango mobile app, shop as they normally would and then bypass the checkout line by scanning a special QR code on their phones.
- Self-Checkout: MAPCO also offers self-checkout options for customers at six of its stores with plans to expand this service to more than 40 existing locations, as well as in all new stores opening in 2022 and beyond.
- Companywide AllPoint ATMs: MAPCO recently upgraded its ATM services, equipping each store with a standardized Allpoint system that offers surcharge-free transactions for customers within the network, as well as access to cash without the fees of a traditional ATM.
- Amazon Lockers: Currently available at 22 stores and with plans to expand with new store openings in 2022, MAPCO’s Amazon Lockers provide customers with a secure, self-service kiosk to pick up their packages at a place and time convenient for them. Customers can add the locker to their Amazon address book and use their nearest location as a shipping address during checkout. They can also be used to make a return, regardless of where the package was originally delivered.
MAPCO’s “Store of the Future” design was recently recognized by Shop!, a global trade association dedicated to enhancing retail environments and experiences, as a winner of the 2021 Shop! Design Gold Award in the convenience category. The award showcases achievements in visual presentations, renovations, fixtures, new store designs, in-store communications and more. It is judged by an independent panel based on criteria including design innovation, originality of space and use of materials, as well as quality of concept execution.
Operating in Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Arkansas, Kentucky and Mississippi, Franklin, Tenn.-based MAPCO also operates ML Energy Transportation LLC—a fuel logistics business comprised of 46 tankers, as well as a fuel wholesale and fleet group serving more than 125 accounts. MAPCO is a subsidiary of Santiago, Chile-based Compania de Petroleos de Chile (COPEC).
Members help make our journalism possible. Become a CSP member today and unlock exclusive benefits, including unlimited access to all of our content. Sign up here.