Flash Foods Inc. began as a small grocery store in Folkston, Ga., in 1952, operated by J. C. Jones Jr. and his father J. C. Jones Sr. The company grew through the 1960s, and a small wholesale grocery distribution center located in Alma, Ga., was acquired to supply the stores.
As the grocery-store industry evolved toward ever larger supermarkets, Flash Foods underwent a fundamental change to a convenience-store format, with individually sized grocery products, snacks and drinks. And the stores were open for business when the supermarkets were closed.
Gasoline pumps were added in Flash Foods parking lots, usually as part of a joint venture with a local oil company distributor. In 1981, an affiliated corporation was created, known as Fuel South Inc., to purchase fuels directly from refiners and distribute to Flash Foods stores.
In 1982 The Jones Co. was created to serve as a holding company for Flash Foods and other affiliated companies. The company also operates 23 restaurants, some of which are freestanding, including Subway, Taco Bell, Krystal and Dairy Queen. In addition, McDonald's operates restaurants on Flash Foods store lots at five locations.
|No. of Stores:||170|
|Average Store Size:||2,800 sq. ft.|
|Rank Last Year:||52|
|States of Operation:||Florida, Georgia|